UPDATED: Rule Changes and Code Section Proposals Affecting the Practice of Law
By Brian Y. Furuya
President, State Bar of Arizona
March 6, 2020
It is important that we continue to inform State Bar members that the Arizona Supreme Court is considering a rule-change petition that would affect the practice of law in Arizona. Among the possible changes would be the elimination of the prohibition on lawyers and nonlawyers jointly operating a law office. That change and others are viewed by proponents as a significant effort to address the widening Access to Justice Gap.
In addition to Petition R-20-0034, which is currently open for comment, the Administrative Office of the Courts has filed a proposal to create a new section of the Arizona Code of Judicial Administration (ACJA). The proposal can be viewed on the ACJA Web Forum. Proposed Section: 7-209 Alternative Business Structures (ABS), sets forth the regulatory requirements for ABSs not covered in R-20-0034.
The proposed Code section also establishes the policies and procedures for the licensing of ABSs, which are entities with non-lawyer ownership that wish to provide legal services.
We encourage you to read the R-20-0034 and Code proposals together to understand the full regulatory structure being proposed. Ready to comment? Instructions for posting comments on the Forum are available here.
- Arizona Attorney Magazine wins national award for Vietnam anniversary coverage
- The State Bar of Arizona and ABC15 Arizona team up to provide free legal help for Arizona consumers
- Arizona Attorneys Respond: Consumers to Benefit from Volunteer Attorneys on the Topic of Family Law
- Benjamin Taylor New Bar President
- Governor vetoes SB1435
- State Bar Partners with City of Glendale for Free Legal Clinic
- Character and Fitness Committee seeking non-lawyers
- AZ Attorneys Respond: Law Day Clinic 2022
- Statement from State Bar president Jennifer Rebholz
- Arizona Attorney Magazine wins national award
- State Bar Board Sworn In
- State Bar Response to Killing of George Floyd
- Rule Changes and Code Section Proposals Affecting the Practice of Law
- Proposed Rule Changes Affecting the Practice of Law