Statement by the State Bar of Arizona Board of Governors in Response to Killing of George Floyd
The leadership of the State Bar of Arizona is deeply troubled by the violent killing of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police officers. The events of that day—that turning point—led us to recommit to our mission of supporting the equal administration of justice for all. Like all people of good will, including many in the law enforcement community, we pledge to continue our work with fellow Arizonans to ensure law enforcement personnel are held to the highest standard of treating all individuals with equal dignity and due respect. When events such as the killing of Mr. Floyd occur, we are reminded that as attorneys we must embrace peaceful solutions to these serious systemic challenges.
We are stronger with the diversity of those among us. We are stronger when we treat others the way we wish to be treated.
We unequivocally condemn injustice, racism, and discrimination. We affirm that such notions should have no place in our legal system or in our broader society, and their continued persistence harms us all profoundly. To that end, the State Bar of Arizona reaffirms its commitment to creating a climate and culture based on respect, dignity, and inclusion. As we continue to work towards strengthening fair application of the rule of law, due process, and access to justice in our courts, we will listen to communities of color that are most affected by pernicious and malignant inequality. We commit to working with them and other stakeholders to hold those professionals within the justice system to the highest standards of conduct. Not only do we owe this to our fellow Arizonans–they deserve nothing less.
- Free in-person legal clinic on Wills & Estates
- Non Lawyers Needed for Committee
- Character and Fitness Committee seeking non-lawyers
- AZ Attorneys Respond: Law Day Clinic 2022
- Statement from State Bar president Jennifer Rebholz
- Arizona Attorney Magazine wins national award
- State Bar Board Sworn In
- State Bar Response to Killing of George Floyd
- COVID-19 Legal Hotline
- Rule Changes and Code Section Proposals Affecting the Practice of Law
- Proposed Rule Changes Affecting the Practice of Law