Bar Leadership Institute
Application portal for the 2019-2020 BLI class is closed. Applicants will be notified of their selection status by August 15, 2019.
The Bar Leadership Institute (BLI) is a nine-month professional development program whose mission is to foster the professional growth and enhance the leadership skills of a diverse and inclusive group of lawyers. The BLI has three components:
- Training and Education - Nine leadership training and legal practice education sessions beginning in September. May qualify for up to two years of CLE credit.
- Community Service Project - The class prepares and executes a community service project. Time will be set aside during the sessions for completion of most of the project, but participants may need to communicate or meet outside of the sessions.
- Service - Upon completion of the BLI, participants commit to one year of service in a State Bar section, committee or working group, or other professional association or community organization.
To be considered for the program applicants must be an active member in good standing with the State Bar of Arizona and admitted to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction for at least two (2) years. Eligibility is based on date of bar admission.
2019-20 Session Schedule
- September 14-15, 2019 – Overnight Retreat in Tubac AZ
- October 18, 2019
- November 14, 2019- (Evening Reception)
- November 15, 2019
- December 6, 2019
- January 10, 2020
- February 7, 2020
- March 6, 2020
- April 3, 2020
- May 8, 2020 - Graduation
Here's what graduates say about the BLI:
"This program was an incredible opportunity to meet a wide variety of leaders in the Arizona legal community. What other program can offer you the leadership training and opportunity to network with Supreme Court Justices, general counsels and prosecutors in an intimate setting."
"There is nothing else like it. It expands our vision beyond our immediate work to remind/inspire us to consider ourselves not just as attorneys but as community leaders."
"The information and experience was invaluable. I have had many leadership doors opened because of this experience."
BLI in the News
Congratulations to Leticia Marquez, Class of 2008, Benjamin Taylor, Class of 2010, and Jessica Sanchez, Class of 2013 on their election to the State Bar of Arizona's Board of Governors.
Bar Leadership Institute Turns 10 - Arizona Attorney Article
Congratulations to the Class of 2018-2019!