Contact: Carol Rose, Public Relations Manager
Phone: (602) 340-7337
Non-Attorneys needed to help better the practice of law in Arizona
PHOENIX – July 25, 2022 – The State Bar of Arizona is looking for non-attorneys to sit on the Arizona Supreme Court Character and Fitness Committee. This committee investigates and recommends applicants for admission to the practice of law in Arizona. It involves reviewing confidential, detailed reports of background investigations into applicants.
Why are we recruiting non-lawyers? It’s part of the State Bar’s mission is to enhance the legal profession by promoting competency, ethics and professionalism of its members. The committee includes lawyers who understand the practice of law from the inside out, but also members of the public who encounter the profession and legal system from the outside in. Members play a vital role in shaping Arizona’s legal profession and make a significant commitment.
- A committee member can expect to review about 1,200 applications each year
- Attend at least one formal hearing in Phoenix each month and a number of informal inquiry panels that are held in either Tucson or Phoenix.
- The time commitment measures about 25 hour a month and terms run four years
Applicants may be from anywhere within Arizona. Mileage is paid for those residing outside Maricopa County. Interviews of selected candidates will occur in September.
Applications are due Friday, August 29, 2022, and can be obtained by contacting Carrie.Sherman@staff.azbar.org or calling 602.340.7201. You can also download online at
About the State Bar
The State Bar of Arizona is a non-profit organization that operates under the supervision of the Arizona Supreme Court. The Bar regulates approximately 19,000 active attorneys in Arizona and provides education and development programs for the legal profession and the public. The Bar’s mission is to serve and protect the public with respect to the provision of legal services and access to justice.
- Free in-person legal clinic on Wills & Estates
- Non Lawyers Needed for Committee
- AZ Attorneys Respond: Law Day Clinic 2022
- Statement from State Bar president Jennifer Rebholz
- Arizona Attorney Magazine wins national award
- State Bar Board Sworn In
- State Bar Response to Killing of George Floyd
- COVID-19 Legal Hotline
- Rule Changes and Code Section Proposals Affecting the Practice of Law
- Proposed Rule Changes Affecting the Practice of Law