2019 Board of Governors' Election
Call for Board of Governors Candidates
In 2019 the entire Board will reset pursuant to changes made to Rule 32, Ariz. R. Sup. Ct. All elected and appointed Board members must run for re-election or seek reappointment in 2019. You can read more about the changes here.
The following elections will be held in March 2019:
- District 1 – Apache, Coconino, Mohave and Navajo Counties will NOT hold an election as President-Elect Brian Furuya will automatically ascend to the office of president in June 2019
- District 2 – 1 Board Seat Available: Yavapai County will elect one Governor to a two-year term
- District 3 – 1 Board Seat Available: Gila, Graham and Greenlee Counties will elect one Governor to a three-year term
- District 4 – 1 Board Seat Available: Cochise County will elect one Governor to a one-year term
- District 5 – 2 Board Seats Available: Pima and Santa Cruz Counties will elect one Governor to a one-year term and one Governor to a two-year term
- District 6 – 7 Board Seats Available: Maricopa County will elect two Governors to one-year terms, two Governors to two-year terms, and three Governors to three-year terms
- District 7 – 1 Board Seat Available: La Paz and Yuma Counties will elect one Governor to a two-year term
- District 8 – 1 Board Seat Available: Pinal County will elect one Governor to a three-year term
Nomination package is due no later than 5pm on Monday, December 17th, 2018.
• Each elected Governor must be an Active Member of the State Bar of Arizona throughout the elected term. For five years prior to election to the Board, each elected Governor must have been an Active State Bar Member and have had no record of disciplinary sanctions under Rule 60. [Rule 32(e)(2)(B), Ariz. R. Sup. Ct.]
• A Board Policy states that members elected to serve on the Board of Governors shall not represent a party in any disciplinary matter nor serve in such capacity for one year after the expiration of their Board service.
• Candidates must submit a nominating petition, brief biographical sketch or candidate's statement, answers to questions that are asked of all candidates, a discipline disclosure statement, and digital photograph.
To become a candidate in the 2019 Board of Governors' election you must return all of the following items (along with a photo):
• Candidates’ nominating petitions and materials must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 17, 2018, at either of the State Bar’s offices (4201 N. 24th Street, Suite 100, Phoenix, Arizona, 85016-6266, or 270 N. Church Avenue, Tucson, Arizona 85701-1113), or emailed directly to Carrie.Sherman@staff.azbar.org.