Certified Legal Specialists
What does it mean to be a certified legal specialist in Arizona?
The Arizona Board of Legal Specialization identifies lawyers who have demonstrated superior knowledge, skill, integrity, professionalism and competence in a specific area of law, to better serve the public. The Board certifies attorneys in eight areas of law. To obtain certification, lawyers must meet specific requirements.
What are the general requirements for Board Certification?
To qualify for certification, an attorney must:
- Be licensed to practice law for at least five years (seven years for criminal and real estate certification)
- Be licensed in Arizona for at least two or three years
- Devote the equivalent of 50% to 70% of a full-time law practice in the specialty field
- Handle a specific number of cases in the specialty field
- Demonstrate integrity, professionalism and a high degree of competence in the specialty field
- Receive favorable peer review from attorneys, judges and other professionals in the specialty field
- Pass a written examination
What areas of law have a certification program?
Currently the Arizona Board of Legal Specialization recognizes the following fields of law for Board certification:
- Estate and Trust
- Family Law
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Real Estate
- Workers' Compensation
How many attorneys are currently certified?
Out of a total State Bar membership of more than 17,000 active members, approximately 700 Arizona attorneys are Board certified.
How long does an attorney remain certified?
Certification is for a period of five years, after which time the attorney may apply for recertification. Attorneys must demonstrate that they meet the requirements of continuing legal education and substantial involvement in the specialty field on an ongoing basis.
How do you know whether an attorney is certified?
A certified attorney is entitled to:
- Indicate certification on business cards and letterhead
- Display the certificate awarded by the Board of Legal Specialization
- List the certification in legal directories and telephone listings
For a listing of certified specialists, please call 602.340.7239 or click here.