Mentorship Program for Persons With Disabilities
The Committee has created a mentor program for law students and new lawyers with disabilities and for attorneys and legal employers who have questions about dealing with issues related to disabilities.
The mentorship program serves:
- Law students and new lawyers with disabilities
- Other members of the legal profession
The program offers:
- Personal mentoring for disabled law students and new lawyers
- Situational mentors who will answer specific questions and provide advice and solutions about numerous issues such as:
- Recruitment, employment and retention of legal professionals with disabilities
- Workplace accessibility and accommodations
- The American Disabilities Act
- Sensitivity and cultural change in the workplace
- Disability awareness related to activities associated with the interaction between lawyers with disabilities and clients, and participation in depositions, court appearances, etc.
- Identification of written resources and referrals to particular state, federal and/or private providers for various aids, grants, equipment etc. for the law student or lawyer with a disability
How to request a mentor or serve as a mentor:
Send an email message to Elena.Nethers@staff.azbar.org. Indicate if you are seeking a personal mentor or a situational mentor to answer specific questions or if you are volunteering to be a mentor.