Arizona Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness
Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 for attorneys
Tuesday, September 1, 2015 for non-attorneys
Purpose: The Committee members are responsible for the investigation and recommendation of applicants for admission to the practice of law in Arizona. Committee members review applications and attend hearings for further investigation of applicants.
Openings: Three appointments may be made by the Arizona Supreme Court to fill two attorney and one non-attorney position. The State Bar Board of Governors is asked to submit three nominations per opening to the Court for its ultimate selection.
Candidate Criteria/Qualifications: Committee members must –
• possess the time, skill and patience to review confidential detailed reports of background investigations into financial, criminal, civil, employment, disciplinary and academic matters.
• have the ability to marshal and present evidence, examine witnesses and write clear, concise and well-reasoned findings and recommendations when required.
• understand the importance of applying the Supreme Court Rules pertaining to this process consistently and fairly.
• attend one formal hearing per month in Phoenix and in one or more informal inquiry panels per month in Phoenix or Tucson.
• be able to devote the time necessary to fulfill the duties as outlined above, i.e., 25 hours on average per month.
Mileage is paid for any members residing outside Maricopa County, but there is no other compensation for service as a Committee member.
Term: Initial term of four years, with the possibility of reappointment.
An application form must be submitted to the State Bar by Tuesday, September 1, 2015. For additional information contact Nina Benham at 602.340.7329 or Nina.Benham@staff.azbar.org.
Attorney application form.
Non-Attorney application form.