Board of Legal Specialization
If you are interested in becoming a certified specialist or retaining your specialization status,
applications will be accepted beginning July 1.
Applications are due August 1. The application fee is $300.
Applications received after August 1 must be accompanied by a $75.00 late fee.
Applications received after October 1st will not be accepted for that application cycle.
Examinations for initial certification will be given in the following spring.
A member must meet the following minimum standards for specialization:
- Admission to the practice of law for five years (seven for Criminal Law and Real Estate Law)
- Admission to the State Bar of Arizona for two years immediately preceding submission
of the application (three years for Real Estate)
- Devotion of at least 50% of a full time practice to the specialty area (70% for Family Law)
- Substantial involvement in the certification area for four of the six years immediately
preceding submission of the application (five of seven years for Real Estate)
- Additionally, peer review is conducted and a written examination must be passed.
Click below for the pdf versions of the Legal Specialization Rules and Regulations, Applications and Standards for each area of certification.
Legal Specialization Rules and Regulations
If you have any questions about specialization, please contact the BLS Administrator at 602.340.7326
or by email at email@example.com.