Call for Board of Governors Candidates
|TO : Active Members of the State Bar of Arizona in:
| District 6 - Maricopa County
| District 8 - Pinal County
|FROM: John F. Phelps, CEO/Executive Director
|DATE: January 30, 2017
|RE: 2017 Board of Governors Election-Call for Candidates
Call for Board of Governors Candidates
The 2017 annual meeting of the State Bar of Arizona will be held during the State Bar Convention at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson, June 14-16. At this meeting, pursuant to Rule 32(e)(2)(D), Rules of the Arizona Supreme Court, the ballots for the Board of Governors election will be canvassed.
An election will be held this year to elect nine Active Members from Maricopa County and one from Pinal County (noted above) - Districts 6 and 8, respectively.
I hope you will consider running for election to the Board of Governors. Please note:
- Each elected Governor must be an Active Member of the State Bar of Arizona throughout the elected term. For five years prior to election to the Board, each elected Governor must have been an Active State Bar Member and have had no record of disciplinary sanctions under Rule 60 [Rule 32(e)(2)(B), Ariz. R. Sup. Ct.].
- Candidates must submit a nominating petition, brief biographical sketch or statement, answers to questions that are asked of all candidates, a discipline disclosure statement, and digital photograph (jpg or png, at least 300 dpi). The nomination package is available here.
- Candidates' nominating petitions and materials must be received no later than 5 p.m., Tuesday, February 28, 2017, at either of the State Bar's offices (4201 N. 24th Street, Suite 100, Phoenix, Arizona 85016-6266, or 270 N. Church Avenue, Tucson, Arizona 85701-1113), or emailed directly to Carrie.Sherman@staff.azbar.org.
Please note: Members elected to serve on the Board of Governors shall not represent a party in any disciplinary matter nor serve in such capacity for one year after the expiration of their Board service.
Nominations for elected Governors shall be by petition signed by at least five Active State Bar Members. Each candidate named in a petition and all members signing a petition must have their main offices in the District in which the candidate seeks to be elected. [Rule 32(e)(2)(C), Ariz. R. Sup. Ct.] All nominating petitions will be acknowledged. If acknowledgment is not received within three (3) days, please contact the State Bar office at 602.340.7201.
The candidates will be featured on the Bar's website beginning sometime in March, and will be profiled in the May issue of Arizona Attorney magazine.
Free Campaign Services
Candidates may elect to either receive free mailing labels for, or send one electronic mail message to, their constituents. Details on these services will be provided to the candidates.
The Board elections are conducted online. In early May, advance notice of the start of the election will be sent by email to all voters. An online ballot will then be sent to Active and Judicial Members in the Board Districts holding elections. The notice and the ballot will be sent to the member's email address on record with the State Bar. Maintaining a current email address with the State Bar is a requirement under Rule 32(c)(3), Ariz. R. S. Ct.
New This Year: Out-of-State Members Can Vote
Active out-of-state Members may vote in the District of their most recent Arizona residence or place of business or, if none, in Bar District 6/Maricopa County. [Rule 32(e)(2)(D), Ariz. R. Sup. Ct.]
If you have any questions regarding the Board election process, please contact Carrie Sherman at 602.340.7201 or at Carrie.Sherman@staff.azbar.org. You may also wish to reference Rule 32, Ariz. R. S. Ct., which the Court recently amended, effective January 1, 2017.
Nomination Packet includes:
- Board of Governors' Code of Conduct
- Board of Governors' Nominating Petition
- Candidate's Bio/Statement Form
- Candidate's Responses to Questions Form
- Candidate's Discipline Disclosure Form